Friday, May 8, 2009

As the bike turns.


For the past five years I've been riding singlespeed about 95% of the time. I sold off all my geared rides except for the Potts and been satisfied with things as they were. Coming off a winter of next to no riding and a spring that's been pretty much the same, I decided it was time to gear up. An XT/Mavic rear wheel, XT derailleur and cassette and a Dura Ace shifter later, I'm once again amongst the geared. Never one to set my bikes up conventionally, I run BB 7 brakes front and rear, which are finnicky to set up on the slot drop Inbred and require the rear wheel to be set more toward the rear of the drops than front. Okay running SS with a bolt on hub and tuggnuts, not so easy geared with a QR. Due to the brake restrictions, the rear wheel can't be run all the way forward and I need to use the tuggnuts still. Two tuggnuts and a QR make installing and removing the wheel a bit of a pain in the ass (yes, I tried it with one tugg only and the wheel cocked under load) The extra width of the twin tuggies effectively (or ineffectively) shorten the skewer length so that it's threads are not completely engaged by the end cap. I haven't lost my rear wheel yet so it should be okay...I hope!

The pic is worth far more than my babblings.

4 comments:

fatbob29r said...

Chris, can you swap out the hollow axle for a solid bolt on axle on the new XT stuff as easily as you could on the old? If so that may be your answer. Funny how similar our lives are, I'll post a pic up when it arrives, but I finally broke down and picked up a geared squishy bike to help get me back into SS shape.

Chris said...

Bob,I was wondering the same thing myself, Definately worth looking into. Gears and squish?!!! I might have a stroke if I tried that radical a change, then again I might have one because I'm old and fat! How's the family, any developments on the job front?

fatbob29r said...

Yeah, we'll see how much I like all this new fangled stuff. I really need gears if nothing else, maybe I should have just sought out an NOS Yo... oh well, more to look forward to. Fam's doing well, little one is growning like a weed. Job offer came in the mail, just waiting on the conclusion of background. Next week perhaps. How are things on your end? You sounded down there for a minute, things picking up for you? How are the girls doing?

Chris said...

Glad everything's going well. As much as I hate going to work, it really sucks being out of work.

Yeah, I was feeling pretty crappy for a while, killing myself at work and not feeling like anything was accomplished. Basically, I have about 9 1/2 months left in my committment to this job, once that's up I can move about the company again. An old friend recently got a big promotion and may have something in mind for me.

Kids are good, my son is having a good year at school and I can't keep him off his bike and skateboard, kid is absolutely fearless. My daughter is a singing, dancing machine and incredibly quick witted.

Any plans of a vist up this way? It'd be cool to finally meet up in person, you and the family are welcome here anytime.